Monday, December 12, 2011

Why am I doing this?

Well, its a long ish story but Basically I want to start learning about beer. Different styles, flavours and aromas. The beer brewing process and the skills involved in brewing a good beer.

So that leads in to the question what is a good beer?

Well I am no expert but I intend to become one :-) I don't have a perfect pallet yet but I am hoping to develop it over the next few years or so. Hopefully you will enjoy this blog and follow my journey.

I am a Yorkshire man living in North Carolina in the USA. I have moved here just recently and having sampled some of the UK's finest beers over the years I am keen to see how the US folks compare.
Since I am getting on a bit and my memory is not quite what it used to be I need some method of recording what I am drinking and what I can taste and smell in the beer that I am drinking.

So off I went to Triangle wines http://www.trianglewinecompany.com/ this lunchtime with a friend who is considerably more knowledgeable than I am right now to choose a selection of beers.

I will be reporting and recording on this blog what I think of the beer and give them a Dave rating of 1 to 5 stars. 5 being damn good and 1 being a Coors Lite

I am going to start tonight with a beer that I actually tried last night http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/index.cfm?pid=120996  This chocolate Stout was definitely not my cup of tea. I like Stouts and porters and this wasn't nasty but left my pallet very dry and an unpleasant after taste.

ABV 5.9%
look: 4.0  Very dark chocolate in colour with small golden head.
Aroma: 2 Nothing to write home about hint of coffee
Taste: 2 Left a very dry pallet and not a particularly pleasant after taste
Body:3 Smooth and creamy


I'd give it a 2.5 star

No comments:

Post a Comment